Gone are the good old days of crappy seo in Boca Raton. The days when you could hire a company to make a horrible video like this one below:
Seo in 2018 is becoming harder and harder because of the changes that Google is making to its algorithyms. They are doing this to get rid of the spam tactics that alot of Seo Agencies use. The ones that still practice this will end up with you wasting your money or even worse get penalized.
Dont believe me? Check out this blog post on the search engine round table:
Google's John Mueller Detailed SEO Advice To Webmaster Who Merged Four Sites
Written By: Barry Schwartz
John Mueller of Google is always super active in the forums, on Twitter and in many other areas including conferences and hangouts helping SEOs and webmasters with their Google questions. But often, when it comes to one-on-one advice, his responses are somewhat shorter.
For some reason, he responded to a Google Webmaster Help thread titled "It's lonely on the last page of Google" - which is a great title for a thread there - and offered extremely comprehensive advice. The webmaster, several months ago, merged four domains into a single domain based on the advice given in that forum earlier. Now the webmaster is waiting for the results but not seeing them.
John Mueller comes in and gives five bullet points based on confusion he saw in the thread and I thought they would not only help this webmaster but anyone reading this site. So here is John's advice to this webmaster:
- You've made considerable changes with the collection of sites, some of the domains redirect, not all of them do though. This kind of site-merging will always take time, but you make it significantly harder by not doing the merge consistently or cleanly. Redirect them all, set canonicals, crawl all of your old domain URLs to check, etc. A clean migration takes time, a hacky migration with an attempt to get short-term advantages will just take much longer. Aim for the final result.
- There are almost certainly low-hanging fruits to work on with your website. I don't know if it would be enough to get it to rank competitively, but simple things like putting headings in text rather than in images can really help. The community here is great at spotting these kinds of items, get their input on that. Individually, most of these things won't have a visible effect -- but collectively they can be pretty big.
- The niche you're in is competitive, there are big players who have spent a lot of time & effort on this. It won't be easy even with a clean website. One piece of advice I tend to give people is to aim for a niche within your niche where you can be the best by a long stretch. Find something where people explicitly seek YOU out, not just "cheap X" (where even if you rank, chances are they'll click around to other sites anyway).
- The disavow file works fine, for links to your site that you want to take out of consideration by our algorithms. Removing the link target page is also an option in some cases, but not in all (for example, you can't really 404 your homepage).
- Cleaning up these kinds of link issue can take considerable time to be reflected by our algorithms (we don't have a specific time in mind, but the mentioned 6-12 months is probably on the safe side). In general, you won't see a jump up in rankings afterwards because our algorithms attempt to ignore the links already, but it makes it easier for us to trust the site later on.
This post was written on January 23,2018. Here is the link to the full article: https://www.seroundtable.com/google-john-mueller-seo-merge-advice-25118.html
As you can see by the Google Webmaster Trend Analyst himself said to focus on a niche within a niche to try and compete against the big players. In other words, if you are a small to medium company trying to compete with the "the big players" you will need to spend alot of money to try and out rank them or specialize within the industry.
So essentially Google is trying to tell you not only you cant compete but you should just give up by niching down! We here at UERC.org are here to tell you that is bullshit. We dont believe that you should not be able to compete against anyone you want to.
Will it be harder, maybe if you surround yourself with the wrong seo agency. There are plenty of snake oil salesman masquerading as boca raton seo experts. Be very careful who you trust your company with and always ask for referrals.
If you have any questions contact us here.